INFO LOWONGAN KERJA TERBARU KLIK DISINI

Overnight Grits Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipe


Grits are a classic southern staple served for breakfast that can easily be made in the crockpot slow cooker. This way you can plug in your pot before you go to bed, let your corn soften overnight and wake up to hot, buttery grits.

Naturally gluten free, you can serve as-is, or doctored up with chopped bacon, ham, or with a swirl of jam/jelly.

[originally written in 2008, during my Year of Slow Cooking]



Day 134.

I am not from the south, which means I am not very familiar with grits. 

I did watch a southern cooking show on the Food Network that discussed grit cooking methods, and I love "My Cousin Vinny"---so I know that any self-respecting Southerner stays away from instant grits.


But that's pretty much where my knowledge ends.


After some Wikipedia-ing (technical term), I learned that Grits 

"... are prepared by adding five or six parts boiling water (seasoned with salt—1/4 tsp for each cup of water) to one part grits and cooking for 20 to 45 minutes. 

Grits expand when cooked and need periodic stirring to prevent sticking, and lumps from forming. They are not done until they have absorbed four and one quarter times their volume of water."


So I took this newfound knowledge and intermixed it with my love for the crockpot.

Also, I threw in my love for sleeping in and having breakfast cook itself.

And came up with.....

WAIT FOR IT.....

CrockPot Grits.

And it's perfect.


How to Make Overnight Grits in the CrockPot Slow Cooker


The Ingredients.
serves 4




1 cup grits (not instant) (also known as polenta)
5 cups of water
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


The Directions.


Use a 2 or 4-quart slow cooker, or place an oven-safe dish into a large 6-quart slow cooker with a bit of water around the dish (I use corningware or pyrex) and then place the ingredients into the dish.


Combine all of the ingredients. There is no need to pretreat the stoneware with a cooking spray, or bother to melt the butter.

Just throw it all in!! :-)

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

This cooked for exactly 7.


Stir well and top with desired fixens'. 

The kids and I used a bit of shredded cheese, and thin a bit with a tiny touch or cream or half and half.

My mom likes to stir in jelly or fresh preserves.



The Verdict.


Wow. I like grits! 

They weren't slimy the way I imagined them to be, and the texture was really nice in my mouth. 

The big kid wasn't terribly impressed, but the little one ate almost a whole bowl. 

I loved how easy they were to prepare, and that they are naturally gluten-free.

I have quite a bit of the package left over, and grits are now going to make it into the regular breakfast rotation.

enjoy!! 


Grits are a classic southern staple served for breakfast that can easily be made in the cr Overnight Grits CrockPot Slow Cooker Recipe




INFO LOWONGAN KERJA TERBARU KLIK DISINI

Iklan Atas Artikel


Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2


Iklan Bawah Artikel